Tuesday, July 15, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Hi everyone!

So I decided to do a book review on We Were Liars because this book was really different.

I hope you all don't mind all the book talk going on, Book-Tube-a-thon is going on right now and I've been doing a lot of reading. We'll not really. But I did finish a book today. It was really short though.

Anyways this book was just really... Different. I don't read a lot of contemporary novels but this one was so different to the ones I've read. 

This book has a very specific plot and I don't want to spoil it for any of you who haven't read it.

I really don't know how I feel about this book, it was so unique but didn't have enjoyable qualities most books would have. But it was super interesting and something about it kept me hooked.

Anyways, if you haven't read the book, go read it! I definitely think it's a book worth reading. Just not a feel good book. In that sense it reminds me a lot of Death Note.

Go read it and then come back and finish this blog post.

Bye!


*SPOILER ALERT* TURN BACK NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK

Okay so woah. Deep breath.

1. I did not see the twist that came. I knew there was going to be a plot twist but dang this one hit me hard. I can usually predict plot twists pretty well but this one was one that I've never experienced before. It was so shocking to me and hit me like a boulder. When I read that sentence I was like... What? I'm confused. But then the more I read, the more everything started to make sense. Why they never replied to her emails, etc.

2. My heart broke a little when she mentioned the dogs died. Like I know, the freaking kids died too! But at the time she realized the dogs died, i didn't know the kids died too. But every time an animal in a book dies I just feel the feels. I probably sound heartless because the actual people died too, but having a pet dog myself, it was really saddening.

3. The writing style is wonderful. I can only describe it as cold, distant, and vague. I've experienced this writing style before in other books and it didn't work out. Even though Cadence seemed so far away, I still really understand her character. A lot of books will have this writing style and the narrator will sound like a robot. But for some reason, this style of writing really suited the book.

4. This book was so short but I felt like I was reading so much. I think it was because of the chapters, and how short the chapters were. Also how there was so much content but the book never felt rushed. It made the book seem like forever, but not in a bad way. Like the book felt like forever because it was boring. I just felt like I had already so much.

5. The main problem I have with this book is how confusing it is at the beginning. I know it's meant to be mysterious but it was so confusing for me. When Candence said that she had been shot at the very beginning I was like WTF. But then She kept talking and I was like... Why is she still alive? But anyways there were many instances like this and it made me so confused. At the end when they mentioned the Liars death I was like pssh what sick metaphor is this. Even thought it was frustrating, it added to the whole mysterious and intricate witting style of the book.

6. I love the symbolism in the book and the title of this book is so true to the story. How the Sinclairs valued their image. How the adult seemed twisted yet loving at the same time. The fire and burning down everything everything the aunts were fighting about. It was brilliant the way this book was thought out.


Overall, this book was brilliant. It was just really depressing and not a book I'd read for enjoyment, which is why I read. As I mentioned earlier, it reminds me a lot of Death Note because Death Note was very intense and a very twisted plot. I liked it, but it's not something I want to re-watch because it was funny or nice to watch.

So tell me your opinions on the book. And if there's something I didn't mention, tell me in a comment!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment